Clayton, MO DUI Attorney
Facing an arrest and legal charges for driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious matter that can have far-reaching consequences in various aspects of your life. The implications of a DUI conviction can affect not only your employment, finances, and personal freedom but also extend to damaging your reputation and straining relationships with loved ones. Furthermore, such convictions may leave a permanent mark on your driving record. It is crucial to approach these charges with the utmost importance and consult a Clayton DUI attorney with experience in such cases.
As soon as you are arrested, you need to act quickly, because you only have 10 days from the date of arrest to ask for an administrative hearing to fight the suspension of your license. With over two decades worth of experience defending clients throughout Missouri—particularly those residing in Clayton—Michael Reid Legal Solutions boasts extensive experience handling DUI accusations.
Our primary objective revolves around securing favorable outcomes by either dismissing or reducing charges while helping you evade the severe repercussions stemming from a potential DUI conviction. Contact MLRS right away so that we can evaluate your case and begin working on your behalf.
The Negative Effects of a DUI Conviction
The specific penalties for DUI convictions vary widely, depending on the circumstances of each individual case. If you have a DUI charge pending against you, it is important to understand the possible consequences of a conviction so you can take the necessary steps to protect yourself.
Depending on the specific charges, a DUI conviction can carry numerous penalties, including:
- Fines: DUI convictions often come with significant monetary fines, ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars, depending on the jurisdiction and the severity of the offense.
- License Suspension: One of the most common penalties for a DUI conviction is a suspension or revocation of the driver’s license. The length of the suspension can vary, but typically ranges from a few months to several years.
- Ignition Interlock Device (IID): In some cases, individuals convicted of DUI may be required to install an IID in their vehicle. This device measures alcohol levels in the driver’s breath and prevents the car from starting if alcohol is detected.
- Mandatory Alcohol Education or Treatment Programs: Many jurisdictions require DUI offenders to attend alcohol education or treatment programs to address substance abuse issues and promote responsible behavior.
- Probation: Some DUI convictions result in probation, which requires regular check-ins with a probation officer, avoiding legal trouble, and getting regular alcohol or drug tests.
- Community Service: DUI offenders may be sentenced to community service. Nonprofits and government agencies usually provide these service hours.
- Increased Insurance Rates: DUI convictions can result in higher auto insurance premiums or policy cancellation. This increase in insurance costs can last years after conviction.
- Vehicle Impoundment: Some courts order the temporary impoundment or forfeiture of the DUI vehicle. This penalty discourages repeat offenses and shows the offense’s seriousness.
- Mandatory Jail Time: DUI cases, especially repeat DUI offenses or cases involving injuries or deaths, may likely result in jail time. The sentence length depends on the DUI laws and the circumstances.
In general, if your arrest was unrelated to an accident where no injuries were sustained and you had no prior convictions for DUI, the likelihood of receiving a DUI conviction is significantly lower. However, if you are a repeat offender and your negligence or recklessness caused the accident, the penalties can be much more severe.
Potential DUI Defenses
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to dealing with a DUI case, and each one must be evaluated on its own merits. Though we cannot guarantee a specific outcome in your case, with our vast experience in handling numerous DUI cases in and around Clayton, we can offer a fair assessment of your case and provide a realistic outlook on your chances of success. Our ultimate goal, like yours, is to minimize any negative effects of a DUI conviction on your life.
Some of the potential defenses to DUI charges that have proved successful in court include:
- Challenging the traffic stop
- Questioning the field sobriety tests
- Contesting the breathalyzer or blood test
- Introducing alternative explanations
- Violation of Miranda Rights
- Proving involuntary intoxication
- Establishing duress
- Attacking chain of custody
- Officer misconduct or bias
- Insufficient probable cause
- And more.
Michael Reid Legal Solutions Is Your Answer
You need someone with proven experience and a track record of results on your side. With over 25 years of experience in DUI criminal defense, Michael Reid Legal Solutions excels at assisting people in difficult situations. After discussing your case with you and reviewing the details of your situation, our team will be able to better determine what course of action to take to strengthen your case and ensure that you receive the best possible outcome. More than simply offering advice, we will get in the trenches with you, fight for your rights, and determine the best strategy to help you get your life back on track. Get a brighter outlook for tomorrow by calling MRLS today to schedule a free, no-obligation, consultation.
Request a Consultation
"*" indicates required fields